1. Magic doesn’t exist
Ha ha ha! More fool them! Of course it does! Magic is around us all the time.
2. Fantasy is for kids, nerds and the crazy
Fantasy is one of the most popular genres for adults in entertainment. I’m sure you could name 5 fantasy books/films/tv series without even trying too hard.
3. In Fantasy, writers can do what they like with no consequences
Err… the consequence is that readers will complain if the stories don’t make sense! And they’ll encourage people not to buy.
4. Dragons are mythical creatures
Dragons are reptiles that no longer exist. Do you know what other reptiles don’t exist anymore? Dinosaurs! And no one disputes that they existed. :p
5. Fantasy doesn’t teach you anything
Every traditional well-known fantasy story is steeped in a moral. They are the folktales communities told their children to teach them right and wrong. They are the fairy tales that teach us about karma and consequence. More recently, Fantasy stories tend to entertain and go against the grain of a moral story, such as in Grimdark fantasy, but the potential interactions depicted between different types of people or beings is interesting. Much can be learned from such conflict.
6. Unicorns are mythical creatures
Again, a unicorn is an animal that looks exactly the same as an existing animal we have in our world, except for one defining feature. Yet it’s completely impossible to consider they might have existed, right?
7. All fantasy stories are set in old England
Which is an assumption based on…..? Lord of the Rings? Well, that’s just silly. It might have been a trend early in the genre but certainly not now. Particularly when you have an entire sub-genre like Urban Fantasy that is based in modern settings.
8. Fantasy books are poorly written
This might have been true in the past when the genre was first growing, but that it is not the case now. There are many too fantasy authors that are household names for Fantasy to be considered as a poorly written genre. Fantasy books are more likely to be interesting, thrilling and engaging.
- Building an Empire – Things I love about Fantasy Worlds - December 11, 2016
- 8 BS facts about Fantasy that muggles think are true - November 30, 2016
- The Sexualisation of Females in Art… Still. - November 27, 2016
- Why Magic Will Make You Question Everything - September 25, 2016
- 10 Movies for a Rainy Day - September 16, 2016
- Is Noblebright a new fantasy sub-genre? - August 27, 2016
- Fascinating Faeries - August 12, 2016
- The Thing About Names - July 25, 2016
- Crazy Centaurs - July 12, 2016
- Terminology: Deviants of Giftborn - July 1, 2016