Although I don’t usually have time to watch movies, I sometimes like to have one on in the background when I’m not writing but still focusing on book related stuff, like marketing, researching or blog posting. This usually means it’s not one that I haven’t seen before, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to tune in and out. My favourite movies genres are fantasy, sci-fi and romantic comedy mostly. So now that the autumn months are in view, here are my favourite movies for a rainy day, a day of marketing or blog posting (in no particular order):
The Matrix Trilogy – great dialogue and an epic sci-fi story filled with faith and hope, without being religious. Plus there are some cooooool characters and special effects.
- Edge of Tomorrow and Oblivion – great futuristic story-lines with a time-travel element in EoT and fantastic twists in Oblivion. Both have Tom Cruise as the lead character.
- In Time – thought-provoking dystopian world where time is the currency, coupled with an engaging and dramatic story-line.
- Think Like A Man – a lighthearted comedy focusing on relationships. Great for when you want to have a laugh.
- The Hunger Games – my Mum dragged me to watch the first Hunger Games and then I couldn’t get enough of it! I even read the books. The movies are well-made and enjoyable, if a bit depressing
- The Princess Bride – an oldie but goodie! Made in the 80s this is a classic take of not giving up on true love, silly but magical.
- Inception – a very clever and complex story that is fantastic visually with great acting
- Spy – Not a rom-com, sci-fi or fantasy but a very good film none-the-less. I didn’t think I’d like this as much as I did! Great for a laugh and some cool dialogue
- Bad Teacher – Another that is out of the categories mentioned above, but such a great movie! Great characters and ridiculous situations, another one great for laugh.
So there you have it. Although I might use these films as ‘background’, they’re also great to watch at home on a rainy day or when you need to relax your mind from over thinking. If you haven’t heard of any of them, check them out!
- Building an Empire – Things I love about Fantasy Worlds - December 11, 2016
- 8 BS facts about Fantasy that muggles think are true - November 30, 2016
- The Sexualisation of Females in Art… Still. - November 27, 2016
- Why Magic Will Make You Question Everything - September 25, 2016
- 10 Movies for a Rainy Day - September 16, 2016
- Is Noblebright a new fantasy sub-genre? - August 27, 2016
- Fascinating Faeries - August 12, 2016
- The Thing About Names - July 25, 2016
- Crazy Centaurs - July 12, 2016
- Terminology: Deviants of Giftborn - July 1, 2016